MEMBERSHIP, CATEGORIES & CONDITIONS
- HISN offers the following categories of membership. Interested applicants are expected to pay the prescribed fee(s) to maintain their membership.
- Individual Membership of HISN is open to any Individual or Person operating within the health informatics, health information management, healthcareor related discipline with interest in the objectives and purposes of HISN.
- Student Membership is restricted to candidates undertaking a full-time health Sciences, information management or related professional course of study in any recognized higher institution.
- Corporate Membership is offered to any business interested in the objectives and purposes of HISN.
Acceptance of a member is subject to approval by the HISN Governing Council.
- Student Member (SHIS)
As a student interested in developing the skills and experiences for your future career in the industry, HISN membership is a sure way to kick-off in your HIS career.
HISN is globally recognized and respected. It gives you the opportunity to set yourself apart from your peers by demonstrating your competence and dedication to professional development.
- Students in this category must show evidence of studentship as at the time of applying for student membership and are encouraged to undertake the institute’s training and development programs.
- Upon your successful graduation from your studies, your membership will be transferred through the association’s upgrade program.
- Interested student members can also attempt the upgrade program/examination at any point in time to advance to the next level of HISN membership.
Graduate Member (GHIS)
- Graduate Membership (GHIS) is targeted at fresh graduate interested in Health Informatics career. HISN graduate membership provides the appropriate level to begin the journey toward a professional HIS career.
HISN global recognition is the key towards ensuring a successful Health Informatics Career.
- Candidates in this category must show evidence of graduation as at the time of applying for graduate membership and are encouraged to undertake the association’s training and development programs.
- Interested candidates are expected to attend the HISN membership pre-induction training program prior to being inducted.
Associate Member (AHIS)
- Associate Membership (AHIS) is specifically aimed at those who are at the start of their career in HIS and taking their first step on the ladder to full professional membership.
Become an Associate member today, for a rewarding start of your professional career. By agreeing to HISN Code of Conduct as you join, you will receive both your membership card and certificate that underlines your professionalism after satisfying the membership requirements.
You can start using your new letters after your name (AHIS) on your business cards and resume. AHIS enables you to stay in touch with the HIS community in Nigeria and worldwide.
- Applicant must satisfy any of the two following conditions if interested in this membership grade:
- Must have been a graduate of any recognized institution of higher learning or a professional body for not less than three (2) years;
- Must have a minimum qualification of OND in any discipline
- Must have passed the prescribed upgrade examination
Professional Member (PHIS)
- Achieve industry recognition and set yourself apart from your peers with HISN Professional Membership (PHIS).
Professional Membership portrays both competence and a dedication to keeping pace with advancing knowledge and the increasing expectations and requirements of your profession.
- In order to register as a professional member of the association, an applicant must hold a qualification,not below the followings:
- A degree from any University, Higher National Diploma or Ordinary National Diploma of any Polytechnic (with 5 years post graduation experience) recognized by the Membership Committee of the association.
- HISN Professional Certification (HIP I – III)
- HISN Master Certification – (CHIP, CHISP)
- Other qualifications approved by the Membership Committee.
Senior Professional Member (SPHIS)
- Set yourself apart from your peers with HISN Senior Professional Membership (SPHIS). A recognition for your competence managing and administering informatics resources (People, Process & Technology).
Senior Professional Membership portrays both competence and a dedication to keeping pace with advancing knowledge and the increasing expectations and requirements of your profession.
- In order to register as a Senior Professional Member of the association, an applicant must have a minimum of five (5) direct reports under them and hold a qualification,not below the followings:
- Min Qualification of a degree from any University, Higher National Diplomafrom any Polytechnic (with a min of 10 years post graduation experience) recognized by the Membership Committee.
- HISN Professional Certification (IP I – III)
- HISN Master Certification (CHIP, CHISP)
- Other qualifications approved by the Membership Committee.
- The grade of Fellowship comprises the most senior and respected professionals in the field of HIS
Fellowship can be awarded if one or more of the following criteria are met:
Eminence: An eminent individual will have general recognition and acknowledgement across the HIS / IT community and beyond. They could have a broad knowledge or be recognized as an expert in a particular field and should have made a significant contribution to HIS and its perception of the general public.
Authority: An authoritative individual recognized and respected for their knowledge and expertise in a particular specialism, such as the development and application of a technique which has become widely used across the IT/HIS community.
Seniority: Typically, an individual in a senior HIS / IT position, who for example, is managing a minimum of twenty (20) staff and/or has responsibility for a large project team or department.
Applicants will typically have a minimum of fifteen (15) years HIS / IT specialist experience.
Fellowship (FHIS) can be combined with any of the HISN Certification (IP + Masters) status.
Fellowship Application Process
Any two fellow members can nominate a person they think is worthy of HISN Fellowship and any full member of HISN (SPHIS) can be nominated. The member must have given outstanding service to the profession or brought distinction to it over and above the normal course of the individual’s job.
Conferment of fellowship is dependent on the final decision of the Membership committee, approved by Governing Council of the Association.
Corporate membership is open to any corporate organization and government establishments within and outside Nigeria.
Institutions/Organizations interested in this membership grade are expected to have in their employment, a minimum of five (5) employees before they can be eligible for the association’s corporate membership.
Entrepreneur membership is open to any entrepreneur within and outside Nigeria.
Entrepreneur interested in this membership grade is expected to have registered his/her company withCorporate Affairs Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeriabefore he/she can be eligible for the association’sEntrepreneur membership.
Submit your application online. You will need to include your CV/resume and provide sufficient evidence that you meet the eligibility criteria.
Your application will need to include the details of two supporters who can validate your experience. It is preferable, although not essential, that one of your supporters is an existing HISN Fellow.